What do you do?

...when you start getting surprise birthday gifts months and days in advance.

Two months back Mom-Dad had sent an envolop with one of my family member who came over here. With much curiosity on opening it, I found "bday wishes" (which is all I need from them) and "money" for their daughter to buy whatever she likes. I know I will never grow-up for them and I love it that way!
Although, I am still undecided what to (and not to!) buy with this money, I get another surprise today when S called me and told that I got a parcel in my name and it contains gift sent from one of my "bestest" friend, Sumi all the way from Kolkata. 
Now all those who do not know Sumi, she is my bum-chum.
Girl with whom I had spent my entire childhood to pre-teenage to teen-age and shared all secrets & good times with, girl whom I can still fall back on, girl with whom I can still giggle endless hours on not-so-funny jokes...yes, girls are girls!
Although we do not meet/talk very frequently these days and yet we can pick up the phone and talk to each other like we were together just yesterday. And let me be weird and wacko without a guilt! We've spent countless hours face-to-face and over phone talking all silly when we should be studying, shared all the "top-most" secrets (read crushes) then and ensured to keep them under our hat, had sleep-overs with late night chats, written long-long letters (emotional ones **wink wink**) when we had to get separated for study reasons. 
Yes, we've indeed come a long way from there and I am glad we are still together strengthening our friendship year over year and plan to pass onto it to our next gen.

Coming back to the point, the gift sent by her is not yet disclosed to me and is left for me to discover once I reach home. 
I am in Cloud 9 since then, guessing what the gift could be and incase you are laughing at me now, let me confess, I am still a child at heart who plans for her birthday months/days in advance and prepares the list of things to do, buy and celebrate on that day.
In hostel, I used to lie excited, pretending to sleep to fool away my friends the night before my birthday and look forward to the mad-mid-night party we used to do then. 

I loved the attention, the waiting for gifts and greeting cards, the new clothes, the cake...
But this year was an exception with the sudden demise of my Pishimoni and I was (and still is) in no mood for celebration. I have already refused all the gift ideas that S came up with and on lot of insisting (read persuation) settled down for a home-made eggless cake with chocolate icing (yes, for me home-made cakes are the best, specially the one prepared by Ma).
But seems like people who care for me are making all their effort to cheer me up and 

guys I must admit, I am absolutely blessed for your presence in my life.At least for your sake, I intend to be happy this birthday, celebrate and get drunk too if possible and not emotional, if that's possible at all.

Comments

  1. I don't know how can anyone not be excited about their birthday. I mean I totally love getting surprise, and I keep reminding family from months and weeks before my birthday... I tell them to mark their calender. It's important for me that Fizz wishes me before anyone else does and I don't pick anyone's call till he does it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Falak: Even I am of such category who will blow her own drums reminding everyone of the D-day. But this year with the sudden demise of a loved one, I was in no mood for celebration.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts