Two years and the bar is still open

“Some” people are not even closely related to you, but they very conveniently choose to advocate you about your life & your decisions. They act & presume that they are the most divine of all and hence they have the right to give you advices. I tried and have succeeded to get ride of couple of such people but there are still some to deal with.
I wonder how they can be so self-opinionated about themselves. They forget that no one has asked for their opinion and why can't it be left to the individual to steer his own wheel of life. Besides the mundan thing, one of the most common question that I am facing from 'those' set of people is "Why haven't I weaned Shreya yet?"

To each, her own, isn't it?
Like everyone else, I too had a self declared deadline for that. Six months. That’s all I can do, and I will, I told myself. Six months of maternity leave appropriately served the purpose. By the time it was six months, Shreya and me went into a zone where we were comfortable with sleep-nursing. It became totally okay for both of us to fall asleep in the act and that's when I figured, why give up just when it has got easy? 
So I extended my time-limit to one year.

After Shreya’s first birthday, I was asked, the inevitable, “Is she weaned yet?”

I proudly replied, “No, still going strong.”
They gave me that look. That look of ‘why the hell do you have to raise the bar’? 
That look of ‘poor you’. They gave Shreya the look of ‘you greedy child’.

My mother, on the other hand, was proud of me. She had nursed me for more than two years and she was happy for Shreya. And so was Shreya's ped who felt I am doing an 'awesome job'.


But between year one and year two, I was at the receiving end of many a concern and raised eyebrows from 'those' set of people. And all I had to say is: If I don’t judge you your formula, you can’t judge me my action.

It continues to baffle me why I am being questioned for carrying out what nature ordained, and women who preferred to distort the WHO recommendation of the ‘minimum’ requirement to the ‘sufficient’ requirement are treated as ‘normal’.

By year two (which is barely a month to go), I will probably be labelled a psycho but now I am beyond caring. However the good part is people have suddenly stopped asking me anymore. Perhaps they are afraid of the answers **wicked smile**.


Frankly speaking, I have my own little secret for why I don’t want to stop, at least for some more time. And that secret is way too tempting to give away.

Besides this, I got a notion that weaning is too much work to deal with and that too without hubby around. Finding an alternative to make her sleep, dealing with a cranky baby through the transition, the sudden onset of illnesses post withdrawal that provides the best immunity ever, tummy troubles, mood swings, aggression, behavioral problems - the list seems endless to deal with alone.

And I can’t help thinking that perhaps, perhaps, a teeny weeny bit of this contributes to the happy child that Shreya is. Touchwood.


So for us, its close to two years and the bar is still open. 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts