'You are not about your looks"

The other day I went to my family doctor and I was complaining about the sudden burst of pimples that I am getting off late. I explained her how it all started but to my surprise she ignored it completely. She was then checking my BP and my latest health-report (I did my master health checkup last month as a part of mandatory annual checklist from our company) and was catching up with me in general about S and Shreya, my in-laws, parents (yes, she knows my entire family). We talked for long and I updated her with the recent happenings from our end. While the discussion was still on, I again mentioned my irritation regarding my pimple and showed concern about my looks. She then stopped, looked at me from above her specks and told me something that I will remember for the rest of my life.

"You are not about the looks Sumita."


I wasn't sure I heard right. I know I am not conventionally pretty, but you know, I have been very confident about my persona, and always managed to pull. She then went on and said that "You have been managing the IT grind, all deadlines and pressure, a demanding-toddler who is not yet weaned off your feed, parents-in-law who are currently in town, MIL hospital duty last week and then doctor follow-up and that too in a hospital which is around 30km away from your home, managing all the day-to-day work both inside as well as outside the house and all that when the husband is out-of-country. With so many things up your sleeves, you have a way of making all of these look insignificant, Sumita. You are a super-woman, sweetheart and you are still complaining about yourself'.


Whoa! I felt I had been recharged. I felt that finally, I had reached that place where I was liberated from all the trappings of dressing up, looking sexy, wearing the right color or having the right phone. Strangely I knew all that she was telling me but it still took a stranger to make me realize that. 


Whatever it is, it definitely felt bloody good!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts