Dream on


“I want to finish my dream,” Shreya announced today as I wake her. I know the weather is lovely and perhaps it makes for better dreams too. I often envy her for having whole, vivid dreams, full of texture and detail, unlike my fractured, muddly ones.

On striking a conversation with her, she told that these days she dreams a lot about mermaids and she told me that I woke her just as she was about to turn into one. I felt really guilty about that.

Some days I wish I could have the sleep of my childhood when dreams were things you slept for. Once in a while, when I do have them, and I wake up thinking of them, I do try and go back to sleep, before my rational mind gets in the way.

Shreya once excitedly told me, “You can change your dreams Mimme!” It seems all you have to do is think really hard about what you want your dream to be just before you go to bed. “I have changed my dreams many times,” she said. It is when I realized that as adults, we accept reality too quickly. And that makes us give up on dreams and the world of magic too easily.

This early morning conversation kind of hit me really hard and I kept on thinking over it throughout my day. And every time it crossed my mind, I found myself smiling and a silent wish came from my heart. A wish to dream on. It’s the only thing that will last a lifetime, if she lets it. So Shreya, dream all the things you want, all the things that you wish for because if you can dream it, you can make it real.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts