TWO....too soon!

Shreya cried her heart out in hospital lobby when her Papa informed, “It’s a boy!” outside the labor room. And NOT tears of happiness. Big crocodile tears. And all these because she was expecting a baby sister. When I met her after delivery, she still was sobbing and that made me realize that deep down I was scared too.

I was scared because I was a girl mom all these years. I knew tutus, bows, and Minnie Mouse. I knew sparkly boots, pajamas covered in hearts, and butterfly kisses. I knew books about feminism and how to teach my girl that glass ceilings were hers to shatter. I knew bedtime kisses, sweet snuggles, and an undeniable mother-daughter bond. But of boys, I knew nothing.

Then three kg of wonder was placed in my arms. And when the most trusting eyes stared up at me, something changed.

I remember storming out mad of a shop during his early months as nothing was "just right" to choose as an outfit because they don't make cute boy clothes unlike girls. Little boys will be gifted clothes with sports on them and even I’ve never sat through a game of anything in my life, still make him wear those gleefully. And adore him in whatever he wears.

Boys are magic like that.

He crawled before I know it. And knocked over valuables. I was fuming while sweeping it up. And then he reached out to comfort me and I melted into him.

Boys are magic like that.

He walks and within days he runs. I beg him to slow down. He teach me that farts are funny, that cars can best run where there is an hump, that dinosaurs are proper tea party guests, and that boys like butterfly kisses, too. And well, they like dancing too.

I worry that I am not doing it right. Then I see him stop and give his Diya a kiss to see her smile. And I feel relief. And the next moment I have to save the elder one from rough-housing of the younger.

Boys are magic like that.

No matter the level of chaos he brings— the long lane of toy-trucks, the messy arts, addition to the laundry load, the mental load, and the endless mess—he’s magic.⁣

You know this is so because when he leaves the house, there will be no sigh of relief — just an absence, a loud piercing silence. A presence missing that can’t be filled by anyone but him.

His cackling laugh when he thinks something is over the top funny.⁣ The way he says things in that comical deep voice when baby talking.⁣ His warm embrace, with his body, and his smell.⁣ The way he reacts when his Diya enters the room.⁣

To our best miracle ever - you have an energy and vibrancy unlike anyone I know.

You are wise and have an emotional intelligence beyond your years, and there are days when I think you probably get me more than your age. You've got my back. I know that for sure.

You always surprise me with your unaffected affections, soul hunger, longing to be included, and strong desire to be with me. We have so much to talk about. So much to do together.

Happy, happy birthday, my handsome, crazy, anything-with-wheel-fanatic energy ball. You fill our heart and home with more laughter and adventure than we dreamed possible.

Welcome to more fun days ahead, Soham!

We love you to bits.

Mimme-Papa-Diya









Comments

  1. lucky it popped up in my google feed. Such a lovely thing Soham is going to read when he grows up. Yet another amazing write up Dotto. Love to you and to Soham <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts