Happy International Women's day, Shreya!


Hello Shreya,

Happy women's day, my little lady.
My strong, smart, beautiful girl...my indomitable 7-years-old. 

Reading a wonderful post by a blogger friend inspired me. So here I am attempting to tell you some of the very basic tips of my life which I would like you to hold dear to your heart. 
Shreya, I know you are too young to understand it now but I hope you read this when you are 14, and 24, and 44 and 84. 

1. Follow Your Heart
I believe that our heart knows what is right and what is best. Sometimes when we want something (or someone) that isn't for us, we try to justify or rationalize it, but the heart knows. Now when I look back, I am so proud that I listened to my heart in most of my decisions and I am sure you will never ever repent when you do that. 

2. People First
Things are nice to have. Pretty, shiny things, perhaps even nicer. And some things are necessary. But remember things do not make life worth living. People do. Material possessions can be replaced; people cannot. I cannot emphasis this more, sweetheart. Love them while they are here.

3. Nothing like 'love'
When you grow up, you will realize that I wasn't as perfect as you believed. You will realize I wasn't the best at story-telling or singing or dancing. You will realize there are better chefs than me. That sometimes I wasn't really busy; I was faking it for some me-time. But I hope you will see that I was really great at one thing: loving you. 
It's one of the things people will remember most about you: the way you treated them, the way you valued them, the way you loved them.

4. Be You
If you ask your Papa for dating advice one day, he will most likely tell you to be you. And he is right. When someone falls for you, you want them to fall for the person you are, not the person you thought they wanted you to be. The right person will have the ability to love an imperfect you...perfectly.

5. Cherish simple moments
As I see you growing, I am constantly reminded of how precious time is. How fast the small moments pass. Before I could realize, your graduated from babyhood to a fiercely independent toddler. And before I would know it, you will no longer be the little girl as you are today. Soon you will come out of my nest to fetch your dreams. But for now, while I have you here with me, I will hold you in my arms each chance that I get..because you don't get moments back; you are only left with memories.

6. Love Yourself
Do you see that face staring back at you when you look in the mirror? She is a jewel. 
She is beautifully and radiantly and wonderfully made. While people will often first notice you for your looks, your looks are only a part of who you are. Your heart, your character, and your intelligence have the ability to outshine those bright eyes and pouty lips. Realize that one of the greatest gifts you can give to yourself is love. If you know your worth, you will be mindful of how you allow others to treat you. Never ever compromise on how you are treated. Never...

I wish I had patience to write some more gyan right now but lets leave them for another session. However, having said that, above all these lessons and tips, I want you to know that it is amazing to be your mother, to hold you through your childhood, to be a witness to all that you are and all that you are becoming. 

Love forever,
Mimme

Comments

Popular Posts