Movie magic

We had a mini milestone beginning of this month, 3rd Feb to be precise. 
We took Shreya for her first movie at a cinema! 
We’ve been putting it off for the longest time because the volume levels are so high at all these cinema theatres, I was not sure how she will react to it. Our cut-off was 4 years and we also wanted to take her for a regular children’s movie but everything being 3D these days, we didn’t want her first movie experience to be with grubby cinema glasses. 
All these made us to postpone her cinema experience for so long.
Although I hate to say that I did not take her to a children's movie but I tried my best to made the whole experience, minus the movie part, memorable for her. 

So here’s what happened – I watched the film (Baby) with my colleague. Liked it much and wanted to take my parents for the same. Since we had no option, we had to take Shreya along with us but as I said this is not the movie I wanted her milestone to start with. Nevertheless, I called my Mom during the lunch break asking her if I can book ticket as things look pretty cool work-wise. She was all happy-happy and I booked the ticket, left office at 4:00 pm, packed snacks (noodles) for all of us and reached home around 5:00 pm. 

All decked-up and excited we reached PVR much ahead of time and allowed Shreya to choose her flavour of popcorn, even before she asking for it. Shreya was floored at the sight of the bucket and thanked me zillion times thinking that popcorn was her special treat :). Then I asked her "Why do you think we are here?". Before I could utter anything else, pat came her reply " To watch a serial" (Thanks to my Mom and her never-ending TV soaps!). I was gobsmacked – she had never been to a cinema before so she didn’t have a clue about where she was. So how did she guess? Frankly I do not have any idea yet.

Next came her innumerable questions as to how it will be and will the screen be bigger than her ipad screen and will she seat next to me etc etc. I did not answer anything and told her that she will come to know in a while. But the excitement that was reflecting from her eyes were a sight to remember.

Finally with popcorn in one hand and ticket in another, the moment she  entered the auditorium and saw the screen, all we got from her was a squeak and a ‘Whoa!’ For quite a while, she was mesmerised with everything around her. Looked at the screen for good 1 hour without any questions or disturbance. Once the popcorn bucket was empty, she started getting little restless. I took her out and we choose Nacho with some creamy dip and this was enough to keep her engaged for next hour. At the end of it all, she told us she had a great time eating and couldn't wait to go for another "serial" (yes, she thought that the movie is something similar to TV serial) for one more treat of popcorn and nachos!

Do you remember your first movie at the theatre? I am sure it was a magical experience. I think at this age, she is unlikely to forget this for a long time. 

Welcome to the movies, Shreya!
Your next movie experience will be much more about the movie than the food part, we promise :)

Comments

Popular Posts