Tuffy


She came home 14 years ago, this 2-3 days old white bundle of energy. And promptly won our heart with her naughty gestures, loving licks, twinkling eyes and ever-wagging tail.

Never imagined that a phone call saying that Tuffy is not doing well from Sunday afternoon (14th Apr) could be an end to many things in many of our lives. And indeed on 17th April 2013, Tuffy left us all....forever.

Ma whom I have never seen too much with pets before Tuffy came into our life could not watch television without Tuffy lying under her feet. When the crackers went off and Tuffy trembled uncontrollably, she held her close until the noise stopped and the trembling subsided. Not a single meal was cooked in our house without deciding what Tuffy gonna have for the same meal and if that would be something which she would like. Their long stay in Bangalore would include a daily call back home to enquire how she is doing and if she is too upset while her parents are away. Ever since she came in our life, the mandatory 'Istabrithi' that we do every morning as an offering to God was done for Tuffy as well by Mom as she was nothing less than a younger daughter to her or rather to both my parents. Every time Tuffy fell ill, I felt a disturbed environment in our house and a fear of odds succumbing my parents. Ma was beside her during her final hour, trying to do every possible thing to comfort her and wept inconsolably for days when Tuffy breathe her last.

Baba: Probably the person who loved Tuffy much more than we all do or rather the person Tuffy adored more than anyone else. He fed her, dealt with all her nakras about food, drover her around, took care of all her vaccinations, brushed her teeth, spent endless evening rubbing her head while she slept peacefully in his lap, walked with her for miles every single day and on some candid occasions, talked to her. In true sense, Tuffy was nothing less than a child to him. They two had a bond which none of us can ever match and silently I know he is the person who is deeply affected by this loss. He was the one who had to bury her and I can very well feel what he had to go through when you have to do the last rites for your kid. 

Uttam: Tuffy was more of a friend to him than a pet. A selfless care-taker and know-it-all when it comes to anything related to Tuffy. He bathed her and in the process having a shower himself every time she did the rain dance. He wrestled with her, pinning her to the ground and not letting her move and the pleasure to see her give in, only to fight back when he relaxed his grip on her, all the time the same naughty twinkle in Tuffy's eyes and a sense of victory - a sight which we all loved to see on a frequent basis. He was alone in the town when she fell ill this time and he was the one who started her treatment before my parents reached native.

Lasting impressions:

The way her ears cocked when her name was mentioned during the course of a conversation any where in the house.
The way her head hung out of the second floor balcony, surveying the street.
The way she rushed to the door each time she heard Baba's bike or our car. And then from the door to the gate, waiting for who ever it was to enter the house.
The way she kept Ma company in the kitchen when she went about her chores.
The way she alternated her time between Ma in the kitchen and Baba where ever he was in the house.
The way she cocked her ear every time I used to call out her name over phone or video conference.
The way she used to give me company during my night-outs before my board or semester exams.
The way she reacted when she saw Shreya for the very first time and in her own way tried to be protective towards her.
The way she showed her excitement every time I used to visit my home and the licking and jumping and growling everything to show how excited she is.
......
The list is endless and I guess her whole life is an impression on all of us who had the privilege of sharing space with her. 

Where ever she maybe, I hope she is happy and misses us as much as we miss her.
We love you Tuffy and will miss you…always.





Comments

  1. My dog too was tuffy.... He was my life and I have similar memories of him with me.... I know how it is to have a pet and then to miss them..... It is painful!!!!

    Regards,
    Moumita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed Mou. I still can't think of my house back in Silchar without Tuffy :((

      Delete
  2. Mamon...I am so sad to hear this. I know how it feels when you lose a pet who becomes a part of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sumita, I know how it feels. I was under depression when chicky left us in 2009 when she was 11. I still cannot forget her and whenever I go to silchar I feel she is under the lying under the bed or sofa. I miss her always.

    -Gaurav

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really very nice blog and looks very nice to see.Thanks for sharing the information with us.
    Best Hotels in Jayanagar Bangalore | Hotel in Jayanagar Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently found many useful information in your website especially this blog page. Among the lots of comments on your articles. Thanks for sharing. scooter kopen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful learning guys I’m a fan of your website. quality wordpress themes

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts