16th!

 Dear Kids,

Let’s talk what's special about marriage anniversary day. 

Here’s the deal. 

Chocolate is tasty. I could eat an entire box, more if it is from my fav genre.

And flowers? Who doesn’t love flowers? They are beautiful and can cheer up any day.

Gifts? Well, I can buy mine, thankfully. 

But know what’s even better than that? Better than cards and bouquets and fancy gifts?

Helping with morning chores, because he knows I hate mornings.

Mid-morning coffee on days when I am unable to move away from my office desks.

The entire finance, as I am bad with numbers.

My biggest advocate and loudest cheerleader.

Punching-bag, who calms me down.

Co-parenting, as otherwise, I would have been lost.

And it’s not just the little things he does for me. It’s what he does for you both and others. 

Watching him sharing sports and academic interest with you.

And patiently dealing with your brother.

Always a safe place for both of you to land.

How he treats his parents.

And how he considers my parents, no less than his own.

How he is relied-upon in my side of the family.

And how he treats people.

Most importantly, how there is always respect between us.

That’s love. That’s what I want so desperately for each of you. 

I pray you don’t get caught up with someone who thinks only about the big stuff and forgets the small moments. 

Don’t get me wrong, chocolate is delicious. Gifts are thoughtful. Flowers are beautiful. 

But the normal, comfortable, everyday respect? 

Gosh, that’s non-negotiable. 

That’s where the good stuff lives. 

That’s what lasts a lifetime. 

And that's what should be celebrated every day.

Happy marriage anniversary, Subhasish Dhar!



Comments

Popular Posts