Someone's turned eight today!


Today we celebrate Shreya. The girl with golden heart who stole our's 8 years ago. EIGHT...when exactly did that happen!

Just yesterday she was so tiny and squishy. Look at her now - she is practically a lady!

Shreya, you’d think in 8 years I might have nailed the process of parenting a bit. But on the contrary, I haven’t stopped learning every single day. You, on the other hand, has just about cornered perfection when it comes to being a daughter, a granddaughter, a student, a sister to your furry sibling, a friend. I couldn’t possibly be more proud that I have the privilege of watching you grow and helping to shape you into the remarkable young woman you are fast becoming.

There is something about knowing that she is growing up so fast. It is that there is a part of me dying to keep her tiny – her curls wild, her expressive eyes filled with nothing but trust, her laughter contagious, her hand seeking mine for constant comfort.

When she was born on Durga Asthami, they said "Ma Durga has come to bless your home". My then manager messaging me, "What an auspicious day to have a baby girl!" Sure it is. 

I don’t pretend to understand her completely. She is her own person. At some level she is beyond innocent. The kids her age are talking about Disney and princess and she too participates. But then next moment she asks if you know what the Great White Shark weighs. 

A girl who loves are books to the core, sleeps with her rebel-girls, fantasizes her fairy tales and equally adores her encyclopedia.

Over the last year, she begun swimming with help of her Dad and showing some serious amount of interest. I watch the supreme control she has over each muscle, the determination to get it right and the willingness to keep at it, and I admire it in one so young.

Being a Bengali, any form of art fascinates her. She loves her drawing and art-craft sessions and equally killing it at music and dance. Blue bong blood, I say!

At eight, she truly believes that she’s a grown daughter who must take care of us. Foot rubs to put me to sleep on days that she notices me limping, scolds her father at the drop of hat, notes down grocery lists, cleans her room (on multiple reminder), insists on having a say in every household decision and rolls her eyes when I come up with something she believes to be untenable.

While I try to keep her away from my world of lifestyle journalism, it’s not easy and she loves picking up the magazines after I am done with them and looking at the bright and colorful pictures, pointing out which model’s outfit is the best. She has rather good taste for a child and will unerringly point out something strikingly stylish as her favourite. She loves watching me as I get ready. While I am at it, she is either prancing around in my heels or lying in the bed looking at me like I’m the most beautiful woman on earth. Just as I looked at Ma in her neatly done hair and graceful sari. And probably this is one of the many good things to have kids for – for those few moments when we’re perfect in someone’s eyes.

During this last year – her seventh, I have seen the most significant changes. Not in a form of physical milestone, rather I am witnessing now is the growth of her mind, of her heart. She is learning compassion and empathy. She is learning to give, to hurt, to be her own person.


Shreya, here is how I see you and what I wish for you in the coming year:


Extraordinary. Enthusiastic. Empowering. Entertaining.

I’m your mom, so clearly, I’m biased, but I do think you are extraordinary. 

You continue to empower me. When I look into your eyes, I see possibilities. You truly believe ANYTHING can happen.

And believe me, that is magic….

The kind of magic I will bottle and do my best to sprinkle over you throughout my life.


Delightful. Dynamic. Dreamer. Deserving. 

All this – all you. You delight me. I love your empathy, your enthusiasm, your sense of responsibility. Your seriousness towards your tasks. Your boundless energy, your endless affection for your loved ones. You dream big, you go after those dreams. You deserve to keep succeeding and we are here to help to make it happen.


Everything. 
Yes. You are everything. There isn’t a mother on the planet who doesn’t want the best of everything for their small people. I feel the same. 

I wish you everything: 

hard times – so you know how to pick yourself back up, 

good times – so the joy is real, the laughter is big, 

loyal friends – so you value the treasure that is ‘people who get you’, 

those who disappoint – so you understand the value of loyalty and you will seek it out, 

BIG losses – so you learn how to evaluate and be better

BIG wins – so the losses will feel like a stepping stone and the people who supported during the losses, 

LOVE – because we all deserve it.


Remember – you are loved. 
Do you see that face staring back at you when you look in the mirror? She is a jewel. 

There isn’t a day that goes by that I am not grateful for your presence in my world. Realize that one of the greatest gifts you can give to yourself is love. If you know your worth, you will be mindful of how you allow others to treat you. Never ever compromise on how you are treated. NEVER..

You are a beautiful work in progress. Embrace it. And know that you have two of the biggest cheerleaders in the world ready to pick you up when you fall and lead the rally when you succeed.




Darling, you’re growing so fast. I spend more and more time with you, clinging to what it is that I seek from motherhood, but it slips through my fingers and rushes on. I have no complaints. I have received more than I ever thought I would.


I love you, my Mini-me.


Happy, happy birthday.


Love, 

Mimme

Comments

  1. Happy birthday to dearest Shreya...such beautiful words Sunita...lots of love to you too as you also turn 8 as a mother...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday shreya.. very well written. All emotions together. Shreya will definitely enjoy these blogs once grown up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts